Develop your own unique writing style
First question you need to ask is that why do you at all need an unique writing style? The answer is actually simple. If you have your own unique writing style, it acts as a brand value in itself. Remember how Rowling differs from Dan Brown? Such is the importance. Readers over time will get used to the way you write and if they like it, you will have returning readers and even subscribers.
How do I create my unique writing style?
There is no answer to that actually. You will have your own unique way. You just have to find it. This is one of the most easily forgotten aspects of blogging. As you continue writing you will know the idiosyncrasies of your own writing. It should ideally come naturally to you, without any external effort. So this creating an unique writing style is not something you need to worry about. Instead you may consider how to improve it.
How do I improve my unique writing style?
You may have an overly classy style of writing. That might be great for writing reports but for writing a novel or a blog that is often a pretty bad idea. You can check out some books on the subject or watch some videos but ultimately you need to find it out yourself. Here’s what you can do so develop your unique writing style…
- Sit down and make sure you have no other work.
- Chose a topic that you wish to write on.
- Start writing.
- Write in three different ways. Make sure you are not trying to be someone else. The funny thing is that our thought processes are often not unilateral. There will be situations where different styles will manifest according to your mood.
- In the end you will have three essays on the same topic.
- Now give it to your family or friends and let them say which was the most fun to read.
- If your choice and theirs match, you have hit the jackpot and check what traits it had compared to the other two.
- Try to feel the same way as you were while writing the chosen essay. That is most likely your best and most comfortable setting. Your writing style will flow automatically.
Of course, this is somewhat subjective and it does work for me and many of my friends. It certainly may not work for you but you can give it a try if you also intend to improve your writing style.
Additional note: Always remember that the guidelines above to improve your writing style is not definitive. There are personal rules that cater to a niche audience. If you are confident that your style is fine, it is fine. It does not matter if ten of friends don’t like it. Another ten may love it. So ultimately what matters is what you feel about it, that is going to have the greatest amount of passion. Over and above that if you wish to polish and improve your writing skill, these tips above can help.